Featured Blog Posts
  • Get Kids Coding with IoT

Get Kids Coding with IoT Across all industries, coding is quickly becoming a crucial skill for the 21st-century workplace. Finding ways to teach kids how to program without becoming bored can be a challenge for parents. That's where the Internet of
    • 18 Jun 2018
  • Sencha EXT JS Web Client + RAD Server 10.2.3

In this post, we'll look at the steps to use the Sencha ExtJS library to create a Web Client to connect and get data from our RAD Studio’s RAD Server (also available with Delphi and/or C++ Builder)! Before We Get Started: In
    • 5 Apr 2018
  • C++ Builder 10.2.3 - CMake and Ninja Command-Line Support

Introduction CMake is a popular C++ build tool. RAD Studio 10.2.3 Tokyo provides support for building CMake projects on the command line using RAD Studio compilers. 10.2.3 also specifically supports using Ninja with CMake, allowing for very fast parallel builds. This will allow you to easily build
    • 23 Mar 2018
  • RAD Studio and Internet Message Format

Introduction The RFC-2822 standard specifies a syntax for text messages that are sent between computer users, within the framework of "electronic mail" messages.  The RFC-2822 specifies lines should be no longer than 78 characters, and the MIME spec RFC-2045, says: The encoded output stream
    • 16 Mar 2018
  • C++ Builder 10.2.2: DataSet Mapping to JSON for JavaScript client support

Introduction In C++Builder 10.2.2, Embarcadero has added a new component to the FireDAC BatchMove architecture, to support generating JSON data from database tables, in an easy and flexible way. RAD Studio (Delphi and C++ Builder) has offered support for JSON in different
    • 15 Mar 2018
  • Borland OWL to C++ Builder VCL

Every once in a while, I get a request to help migrate Borland OWL applications to C++ Builder VCL applications. Background The Object Windows Library (OWL) is a C++ object-oriented application framework designed to simplify desktop application development for Windows. OWL was introduced by Borland in 1991 and eventually deprecated in 1997
    • 20 Feb 2018
  • RAD Server single site deployment license included in RAD Studio 10.2.2 Tokyo Edition and FireMonkey Quick Edit IDE Support

RAD Studio 10.2.2 includes a RAD Server single site deployment license in Enterprise and Architect editions and adds new FireMonkey Quick Edit support, plus many additional features and benefits as described in What's New in RAD Studio 10.2.2.            Let's take
    • 4 Jan 2018
  • Migrating is easier than you think!

As an Embarcadero Software Consultant, I’m often asked to help migrate legacy Delphi and C++ Builder code to the current versions. Developers have commented that their migrations were easier than they thought! Here are two recent Code Rage Sessions showing
    • 26 Dec 2017
  • RAD Studio 10.2: Windows 10 VCL UWP/WinRT Support

Windows 10 VCL Universal Windows Platform (UWP)/WinRT Services and Components has been added to the Run Time Library (RTL). For example, the Windows 10 Notifications Component and Windows 10 Sharing/Contract Component, for both Object Pascal and C++ is included in RAD Studio,
    • 29 Sep 2017
  • C++ Builder Header Dependencies

Why should you care about header dependencies in C++?  One reason is header dependencies can have an impact on building, refactoring, testing and on the structure of your software. And reducing header dependencies in C++ also reduces compile time dependencies –
    • 30 Aug 2017
  • Use TRESTDataSetAdapter with arbitrary JSON

One basic question I get asked is how can I convert arbitrary JSON into some kind of data structure such that I can extract useful data? One solution is to use the TRESTDataSetAdapter with arbitrary JSON. The TRESTDataSetAdapter and TClientDataSet components convert the JSON representation into a dataset. The TRESTDataSetAdapter
    • 23 Jun 2017
  • FireDAC & ODBC for Paradox and dBase tables.

I continue to get customer requests for options to migrate legacy RAD Studio, Delphi or C++ Builder applications using the Borland Database Engine (BDE) with Paradox and/or dBase files.              With the current versions of RAD Studio,
    • 9 Jun 2017
  • FireDAC and Microsoft Azure SQL Database

I've started to get requests to use FireDAC with Cloud Databases, like SQL Azure.  The question whether or not to put your business data in the cloud is getting easier and easier these days and a lot of that is
    • 28 Apr 2017
  • Migrating Delphi - Case Studies Webinar

On this webinar we learned how to migrate from older editions of Delphi with some stories of what to look for and how to update your code (including tools and resources to help you along the way) This webinar focused
    • 30 Sep 2016
  • Migrating legacy C++ Builder Apps to C++ Builder 10 Seattle

Migration Considerations - Unicode For the most part, your older C++ Builder source code and forms will import, compile, link and execute in current C++ Builder 10 Seattle, but you may need to make Unicode changes, and re-build 3rd party libraries,
    • 10 Nov 2015