I used Delphi many years ago and have decided to team up with another developer and get back into programming. So we set everything up, did some research and decided that Delphi would be a good fit because, in part, they give you the option to develop your software before having to commit to the license fee.
We planned everything, and the day my partner sat down to install Delphi, he was told that he had already registered it 3 times and cannot register it again. Funny enough he has never actually written a line of code in Delphi but has always been curious about it, and finally decided to commit at my recommendation. He reached out to support and was told that he has already registered it three times, and that they wouldn't allow him to register it again, and that the case was closed.
Is this 3 registration limit normal? If so, that is rather troubling, as we could spend months developing an app, and then lose all ability to carry on developing it simply because one of our computers crash.
It is usually not a big problem to get an increase to the registration limit, but at the moment it is not clear who you have to contact for that, unfortunately. There was a blog post about the issue a while back https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/from-the-gm-new-updates-and-changes-to-the-registration-bumps-policy
Anyway, if you have a contact in Embarcadero/Idera sales of your region, try to contact them. You could cite the consumer protection legislation of your country to enforce the issue: if you bought and payed for a licence preventing you from useing it is clearly a contract breach and could be brought to court...
I'm an old Delphi user from ages ago (and still use Delphi 5 Pro, believe it or not to continue improving products sold to many customers). I came here to investigate finally getting a modern version, see what the costs would be and if I can have it installed on desktop and laptop both. I've resisted all this time because of the expected hassle of incompatible components and the like. I have to say that the blog you pointed to above makes me VERY uncomfortable. (Also the fact that "Replies" to that blog seem to have been closed isn't encouraging either!).
I would be supremely irritated if a hard drive failure, or stolen laptop, etc. ended up requiring me to shell out yet more kilobucks above the hardware replacement costs just in order to continue supporting software I have written that was migrated from my trusty old D5 development setup! This new policy seems like it might be a showstopper.
My choices are staying with D5 (hey, it works, if limited nowadays), switching over to C# (with learning curve and code translation required , but that's a one-time investment that won't be suddenly gone someday because of an unrelated failure). Or updating to 10.3.. I have to say that reading that blog (and the unsatisfying replies and replies-to-replies to it), is making me tend toward one of the first two choices.
Ah, for the old days when Borland ran the show....
So how have you covered the transition of upgrading the hardware for your Delhi 5 installation? Surely you haven't had the same hardware that you had when D5 was released 20 years ago?
Just installed it to the new machine. There was (is) a problem with installing CodeRush for it into a 64bit machine, as CodeRush installer is 16 bit, so won't run and I removed it. So I run D5 in a 32bit Windows 7 environment. A few weirdnesses sometimes occur, but then there were some of those even when I ran it in WIndows 2000 a couple decades ago.