• New in RAD Studio 10.3: Options Dialog Improvements

In RAD Studio 10.3, we’re making a number of great improvements to the user interface and usability. Concretely, that’s not just looks: we are carefully making improvements in how to interact with the IDE. Last week, we looked at changes ...
    • 9 Nov 2018
  • Custom Managed Records Coming in Delphi 10.3

Beside inline variable declarations, Delphi 10.3 is going to offer another new Object Pascal language extension, custom managed records
    • 8 Nov 2018
  • Introducing Inline Variables in the Delphi Language

The coming 10.3 version of Delphi introduces a very handy feature to the language, local inline variables with local scope and type inference.
    • 8 Nov 2018
  • Directions for ARC Memory Management in Delphi

With the coming 10.3 release, RAD Studio R&D and PM teams are making Delphi's new directions in memory management official.  A few years back, when Embarcadero started building new Delphi compilers for platforms other than Windows there ...
    • 8 Nov 2018
  • Android Z-Order, Native Controls, and 10.3 Rio

Before 10.3 Rio when you used a a platform-native control, like TWebBrowser or TMediaPlayer, you were not able to put other controls on top of them. That stacking of controls is knowns as Z-Order. This was especially annoying when you...
    • 7 Nov 2018
  • New in 10.3: IDE UI Improvements in the Main Window

In recent RAD Studio releases, we’ve paid a lot of attention to the IDE’s user interface. In 10.2.2, we added a dark theme (one of the most popular changes we’ve made!) and updated the component icons. In RAD Studio 10.3, we have a ...
    • 31 Oct 2018
  • Webinar Replay: Simplify Data Change Tracking with InterBase

On October 17, I did an InterBase webinar on using Change Views to simplify data change tracking.  Change Views allows you to reduce your network traffic, keep mobile data costs down and speed up your development time by syncing only
    • 18 Oct 2018
  • Level Up Your UI Design Skills

You’re short on time, and cash, so where can you go to learn new skills to improve your app UIs? There are a ton of free, or nearly free, on-demand resources if you know where to look.   Enroll in free,
    • 17 Oct 2018
  • Touch-Friendly Navigation for Mobile Apps

Over 20% of users abandon an application after using it the first time (per Localytics). How can you design your mobile app to avoid being one of these casualties? Start out by designing your application with mobile in mind. You can’t
    • 15 Oct 2018
  • Embarcadero Releases AppAnalytics Server Source Code

What is AppAnalytics? A few years ago, Embarcadero introduced the AppAnalytics technology, a simple and effective way to add in-app analytics to VCL and FMX applications using ready-to-use components and a paid SaaS offering for the AppAnalytics backend. Since introducing the service,
    • 11 Oct 2018
  • Dave's Thoughts on UI Design - Index

I'm a big proponent of practical, usable UIs that are easy to understand and pleasant to look at. As an ongoing series, there are a number of blogs posts on UI design. How To Design a Great UI A practical approach to taking a mockup
    • 11 Oct 2018
  • How To Design a Great UI - Part 3

Welcome back! This is the third post on a series on practical UI design, an approach to creating usable, good-looking UIs when you are not a UX expert. In Part 1, we looked at some basic principles of UI design, a
    • 10 Oct 2018
  • C++ Libraries in GetIt: MurmurHash 3

An ongoing project we have is to ensure more popular, well-known C++ libraries are updated to work with C++Builder, and available to you from within GetIt, our package manager. You may have seen a post earlier this year about real-world
    • 9 Oct 2018
  • FireDACの秘密:最後に挿入された自動生成IDとEnterprise Connectors

この記事は Eli M. による Secrets Of FireDac: Last Inserted Auto Generated Id And Enterprise Connectors の抄訳です。  自動インクリメントフィールドがあるテーブルにデータを挿入するとき、一般的にはSQLクエリを使用して新しく作成されたレコードの最後に挿入されたIDを取得します。TFDQueryを使用してINSERTクエリを実行し、続いて、SELECTクエリを実行すれば、新しく挿入された自動インクリメントIDを取得できます。 異なるデータベースには、これを実現するために異なるSQLクエリがあります。 たとえば、MySQLには、LAST_INSERT_ID(例:SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID))という名前で実行できるSELECTクエリ関数があります。 このSELECT文を直接実行するか、FireDAC内蔵の機能を使用することができます…
    • 5 Oct 2018
  • The Delphi Compiler and UTF-8 Encoded Source Code Files With no BOM

Last week a (large) customer sent me an email indicating he was experiencing issues when compiling the same project on different machines. Turned out the difference was in the source code files format and the root cause was a unit
    • 4 Oct 2018
  • How To Design a Great UI - Part 2

Welcome back! Last time, we discussed a typical UX design flow, and how to tackle this if you do not have access to a UX designer. We also looked at some key usability principles, and saw an example ‘bad’ user interface
    • 3 Oct 2018
  • Save this Page: All the Patches Since the Last Release

How can you be sure you’ve applied the latest updates for your RAD Studio, Delphi, or C++Builder version? After installing the IDE, there may be updates that were released since the last product installer.   Patches for Version 10.2.3 You can
    • 3 Oct 2018
  • What’s New and Updated in GetIt for October 2018

GetIt is the package manager built into RAD Studio, Delphi, and C++Builder. It includes 214 packages in 8 different categories. 38 Library packages 121 Component packages 53 Internet of Things components 60 Trials 4 Industry Templates 2 IDE Plugins 3
    • 2 Oct 2018
  • Photos of September Delphi Events: London and Utrecht

Delphi User Group Meeting, London A couple of weeks ago I was in London for personal reasons and teamed up with the UK Developers Group to attend their monthly meeting and talk about Delphi. I offered an introductory talk, some in depth
    • 28 Sep 2018
  • How To Design a Great UI - Part 1

How do you design a user interface (UI) to be understandable and easy to interact with? In this series, I’ll give some thoughts on good design, combined with examples. This series is intended as practical UI design advice for small teams
    • 26 Sep 2018
  • Blogs on Embarcadero Community: Multi Tier Development and Enterprise SKU

I haven't blogged much here in September, because I wrote two blog posts on the Embarcadero community site (given they were more official blog posts -- I generally blog on my personal blogs and the content is surfaced on the Embarcadero community):
    • 25 Sep 2018
  • Get the Competitive Edge with FireUI

The Market Today To stay relevant, be successful and reach users, mobile app developers need to develop multi-device apps. Looking at the latest mobile OS market share stats, iOS and Android is split down the middle in the US, with iOS being
    • 21 Sep 2018
  • Deep Delphi Discussions

Everyone knows Delphi is the best Rapid Application Development tool. Delphi, C++Builder, and RAD Studio set the standard that everyone else is still trying to follow. Nothing will get you to market quicker with a great native experience for your
    • 21 Sep 2018
  • RAD Studio での iOS 12 対応

今週初めにAppleはiOSの最新リリースであるiOS 12をリリースしました。私たちは10.2 Tokyo Release 3と10.3 Carnival BetaでiOS 12をテストしています。
    • 20 Sep 2018
  • Targeting iOS 12 with RAD Studio

Earlier this week, Apple released the new version of iOS, iOS 12. We’ve been testing iOS 12 with 10.2 Tokyo Release 3 and the 10.3 Carnival Beta.  What we support with RAD Studio 10.2.3 today: Building applications that can run on iOS
    • 19 Sep 2018