What is "DSC" and a second question in Description

I am running computer name WS2012-001 as a DC, WS2012-001 as a member, and W70001 as a member in a VMWare Workstation12 virtual environment on a W7 platform.

I can connect from WS2012-001 to either WS2012-002 or W70001 and successfully run this command: get-eventlog -security -newest 10.

I can disconnect and successfully run this command: get-eventlog security -newest 10 -computername WS2012-001.

However, if I try this command: get-eventlog security -newest 10 -computername W70001, I get the error, network path not found.

Can you please tell me why?

Thank you,

David Adams

Parents
  • Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration Overview
    DSC is a management platform in PowerShell that enables you to manage your IT and development infrastructure with configuration as code.
    'msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/PowerShell/dsc/overview'

To use PoSH on remote system you have to have PoSH remoting enabled.

Tip: Enable and Use Remote Commands in Windows PowerShell
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700227.aspx'

Windows servers that are domain joined, this is already done for you as many aspect of Windows Server / Services / feature management require it to be.

On client system you have to manually enable it, via GPO or physically going to that workstation and enabling it.
    Remember that each version of Windows client and server are running a different version of PoSH. If you wan the most consistent experience using PoSH, use the latest version that can exist across the systems.

For older systems you will need to download the latest supported version. Just search for that.

Lastly, if the system is not domain joined, the you have to configure POSH Remoting using the workgroup / trustedhost model.

Remoting Week: Non-Domain Remoting
    'blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/11/29/remoting-week-non-domain-remoting'

About Remote Troubleshooting
    'msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.1/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_remote_troubleshooting'

Reply Children