• Initial Thoughts of App Inventor

Recently, I was voluntold for a teaching adventure for a local high school.  We were going to meet with high school students for a career day and show off App Inventor 2 , having them go through the Magic 8 Ball tutorial .  The night before the presentation... Read the full text.
    • 19 Nov 2017
  • Before Contracting, Do Your Research

Within the past couple months, I’ve been dealing with junior devs who have taken on side gigs and signed up for contracting gigs without really knowing what they were getting into.  As someone who owns her own LLC and can do the side gigs, I find myself... Read the full text.
    • 18 Sep 2017
  • Before Contracting, Do Your Research

Within the past couple months, I’ve been dealing with junior devs who have taken on side gigs and signed up for contracting gigs without really knowing what they were getting into.  As someone who owns her own LLC and can do the side gigs, I find myself... Read the full text.
    • 18 Sep 2017
  • Finding Internships in the Tech Realm

A question was recently posted on Twitter on how we got our first jobs in the industry.  This was my response: Post college, answered an ad in the classifieds in the newspaper for a tech support analyst. — Sarah Dutkiewicz (@sadukie) September... Read the full text.
    • 13 Sep 2017
  • Finding Internships in the Tech Realm

A question was recently posted on Twitter on how we got our first jobs in the industry.  This was my response: Post college, answered an ad in the classifieds in the newspaper for a tech support analyst. — Sarah Dutkiewicz (@sadukie) September... Read the full text.
    • 13 Sep 2017
  • Kansas City Developer Conference Recap

In early August, I had the opportunity to attend Kansas City Developer Conference in Kansas City, MO.  This was my first official trip to the city as an adult, as the last time I had been in the city was for the National Catholic Youth Conference in... Read the full text.
    • 6 Sep 2017
  • Kansas City Developer Conference Recap

In early August, I had the opportunity to attend Kansas City Developer Conference in Kansas City, MO.  This was my first official trip to the city as an adult, as the last time I had been in the city was for the National Catholic Youth Conference in... Read the full text.
    • 6 Sep 2017
  • Code Tunes: Come Write the Code

One of my co-workers has gone down the path of creating song parodies for code, which has inspired me to follow suit.  Today, I’m trying my hand at this with Styx’s “Come Sail Away”: I’m coding away Set an open file in my IDE ‘Cause I’ve got... Read the full text.
    • 10 Jul 2017
  • Code Tunes: Come Write the Code

One of my co-workers has gone down the path of creating song parodies for code, which has inspired me to follow suit.  Today, I’m trying my hand at this with Styx’s “Come Sail Away”: I’m coding away Set an open file in my IDE ‘Cause I’ve got... Read the full text.
    • 10 Jul 2017
  • Sadukie’s SensoRs AdventuRes: Sample Untidy Data

In my last post, I mentioned that I was playing with R and some sensor data that we have here at home.  After finding Roel M. Hogervorst ‘s post on R-Bloggers about packaging your data , I figured I’d try this for my sensors dataset. If you are looking... Read the full text.
    • 13 May 2017
  • Sadukie’s SensoRs AdventuRes: Sample Untidy Data

In my last post, I mentioned that I was playing with R and some sensor data that we have here at home.  After finding Roel M. Hogervorst ‘s post on R-Bloggers about packaging your data , I figured I’d try this for my sensors dataset. If you are looking... Read the full text.
    • 13 May 2017
  • Sadukie’s SensoRs AdventuRes

After seeing Brian Sherwin ’s presentation on Jupyter notebooks and participating in Matthew Renze ’s Practical Data Science with R Workshop at CodeMash 2017, I wanted to play with both technologies more. Here we are, many months later, and I still have... Read the full text.
    • 12 May 2017
  • Sadukie’s SensoRs AdventuRes

After seeing Brian Sherwin ’s presentation on Jupyter notebooks and participating in Matthew Renze ’s Practical Data Science with R Workshop at CodeMash 2017, I wanted to play with both technologies more. Here we are, many months later, and I still have... Read the full text.
    • 12 May 2017
  • The Geekette’s Wardrobe – Featuring Svaha

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Svaha Apparel .  It all started with a Facebook ad, and then I noticed them –  geeky dresses WITH POCKETS .  So what’s a geekette to do when she finds fun dresses WITH POCKETS and fun geeky pieces?  She... Read the full text.
    • 4 May 2017
  • The Geekette’s Wardrobe – Featuring Svaha

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Svaha Apparel .  It all started with a Facebook ad, and then I noticed them –  geeky dresses WITH POCKETS .  So what’s a geekette to do when she finds fun dresses WITH POCKETS and fun geeky pieces?  She... Read the full text.
    • 4 May 2017
  • Why does RTVS open Notepad?!?

For the past few weeks, I’ve been going through the Mastering Software Development in R specialization on Coursera .  After  Matthew Renze mentioned R Tools for Visual Studio (RTVS) during his workshop at CodeMash , I had to see what this was about.... Read the full text.
    • 27 Mar 2017
  • Why does RTVS open Notepad?!?

For the past few weeks, I’ve been going through the Mastering Software Development in R specialization on Coursera .  After  Matthew Renze mentioned R Tools for Visual Studio (RTVS) during his workshop at CodeMash , I had to see what this was about.... Read the full text.
    • 27 Mar 2017
  • Adventures with R…

About a week and a half ago, I started going through the R specialization on Coursera .  These are some of my observations. Reminders of my Past As I work in RStudio and go through lessons on data tidying, querying for values, and creating functions... Read the full text.
    • 19 Mar 2017
  • The Work/Life/Community Tightrope Walk…

With work/life balance being a questionable topic for some, I figured I would share what it’s like here.  If you haven’t seen me in the community in awhile, there’s a lot going on at work and also need to spend time with my family every now and then... Read the full text.
    • 15 Mar 2017
  • On Making Badass Developers…

I ran into Michael Richardson while at CodeMash , and he forwarded me a link to Kathy Sierra ‘s talk  Making Badass Developers : These are my thoughts as I was watching the video. What do you need to know?  Sitting at the table, someone asks... Read the full text.
    • 5 Feb 2017
  • CodeMash 2017 Recap: Conference Talks, Day 2

Every year, I go to CodeMash with little plans made, knowing that the side conversations can happen and derail any plans.  This year was no exception.  I went into Friday with no expectations, and it turned out to be great! Drops of Jupyter in Your... Read the full text.
    • 18 Jan 2017
  • CodeMash 2017 Recap: Conference Talks, Day 1

For the first day of conference talks, I had some things I wanted to see and others that I ended up not seeing, due to a turn in events.  I may have been checking out topics I’ve been interested in, as well as scouting for speakers for Stir Trek (as... Read the full text.
    • 16 Jan 2017
  • CodeMash 2017 Recap: Pre-Compiler Day 2

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, one of my personal tech topics that I want to explore in 2017 is data science.  For as long as I’ve known, I love  data.  As a hobbyist in my teens, I was playing with Access and reporting on data.  I eventually migrated... Read the full text.
    • 11 Jan 2017
  • CodeMash 2017 Recap : Pre-Compiler Day 1

Tech-wise, personally, my goals for 2017 involve learning more about data science (especially R and Hadoop) and playing with .NET Core on Linux.  (Have I ever mentioned how excited I am about writing code in a language from Microsoft on an operating... Read the full text.
    • 10 Jan 2017
  • Sadukie on WiT and Diversity for the Sake of Diversity

After recently reading on personal branding, I realized that some people don’t get me.  Some people don’t understand just who I am and what I am about.  So let me tell you a bit about who I am and where I stand on things. Who I Am I am a  geek... Read the full text.
    • 7 Oct 2016