How to run an .exe file (Install Wizard)

I've been thrown into Powershell knowing nothing about it and having to learn via the web alone, so please be kind.  I'm putting together a script that will build a Windows 7 PC (SP 1 with just the basic operating system and Admininstrator account), adding user accounts, applications, printers, FTP, SSH, et al as it goes.  The very first thing I need to do is install AutoIt, which will be used to run some portions of the install.  The script is autoit-v3-setup.exe which brings up an Install Wizard.  Since it's an .exe and not an .msi, how do I have Powershell run through the Wizard (defaults all the way) and finish before moving on to the next item?

Thank you

Parents
  • According to varios posts AutoIT supports /S (capital) for silent installation, therefore: 

$result = Start-Process -Wait -FilePath 'C:\sources\autoIt\autoit-v3-setup.exe' -ArgumentList '/S' -PassThru 

should be enough to run and install the software. 

Anyway they also wrote there you don't need the full runtime on each station to run the scripts you compiled. Not sure if you are aware of it. I never used AutoIt myself.

• nohandle said:

According to varios posts AutoIT supports /S (capital) for silent installation, therefore: 

$result = Start-Process -Wait -FilePath 'C:\sources\autoIt\autoit-v3-setup.exe' -ArgumentList '/S' -PassThru 

should be enough to run and install the software. 

Anyway they also wrote there you don't need the full runtime on each station to run the scripts you compiled. Not sure if you are aware of it. I never used AutoIt myself.

Just ran an Uninstall of AutoIt on my development PC, tested your line as a single line script, and it worked just great!  Thank you for your help!  (I'm sure I'll be back to the forums soon, hope you all don't get sick of me)

• nohandle said:

The output you see is what msiexec outputs when there are none or wrong parameters provided. You run the second setup.exe and recieve this after a while? Immediately? Or do you run an .msi?

Just verified - setup.exe first looks to see if Microsoft.NET is installed.  If it is not, it installs it for us first, then runs data.msi and that .msi file is what installs our application.  So is there a way for me to pass .msi arguments/params within the

command?

• is there a Setup.ini file?

• nohandle said:

is there a Setup.ini file?

No.  Just the setup.exe and the data.msi.

• Too bad. The parameters are specified there usually. 

Like so for example: 

[GeneralOptions]

MainAppCmdLine=/l*vx SecureStoreInstall.log

MinWIVer=3.01

ProductCode=1033:{AB4B80A0-A5CA-4C9E-B3C7-399B1CA42076} 1051:{88FBB367-DE28-4217-878C-5F7B6EF38992} 1029:{8035A037-F26B-4C09-991E-2AC24D1C66E4} 

Get one from the vendor or install the prerequsities manually and call the msi directly. 

• nohandle said:

Too bad. The parameters are specified there usually. 

Like so for example: 

[GeneralOptions]

MinWIVer=3.01

ProductCode=1033:{AB4B80A0-A5CA-4C9E-B3C7-399B1CA42076} 1051:{88FBB367-DE28-4217-878C-5F7B6EF38992} 1029:{8035A037-F26B-4C09-991E-2AC24D1C66E4} 

Get one from the vendor or install the prerequsities manually and call the msi directly. 

I may be able to contact the group that created this installation directly.  But I was also thinking of separating out the .NET installation, then just running the .msi silently.

Thank you.

• nohandle said:

Too bad. The parameters are specified there usually. 

Like so for example: 

[GeneralOptions]

MinWIVer=3.01

I may be able to contact the group that created this installation directly.  But I was also thinking of separating out the .NET installation, then just running the .msi silently.

Thank you.

Children
No Data