Getting Scheduled Task information via PowerShell

Hi,

I'm working on a Powershell script that is to be tasked with the job of auditing scheduled tasks that are defined on a number of Servers in our environment.

I've managed to get it working pretty well and it even includes the ability to audit multiple actions and multiple targets.  It also will audit targets with different scheduling parameters.

All is working fine but I just can't figure out how to audit a trigger which is defined as 'On a schedule' where the interval is set to 'Monthly'.

When you do this the resultant CIM object has the type 'MSFT_TaskTrigger'.  I've tried using the object reference but none of the child objects seem to actually have any values associated with them.  This is despite me create a sample test which has both Months and Days specified.

Does anyone else know of a way of achieving this?

Right now I use the New-CimSession cmdlet to first get a valid connection to the remote machine.  Then I use Get-ScheduledTask to retrieve the appropriate tasks.

From there I can enumerate the triggers using the $scheduledTask.Triggers collection.  It seems to work for all triggers but i'm struggling to get the extended information about the trigger schedule when the type is MSFT_TaskTrigger.

Grateful for any pointers or advice that people might have.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

• I don't think Microsoft exposes the information you are looking for with that trigger type. And some tasks that use that type can't even be modified with the Task Scheduler. This may be a case where the command line tool is better.

PS Scripts:\> schtasks /query /tn test /v /fo list

Folder: \
    HostName:                             WIN81-ENT-01
    TaskName:                             \test
    Next Run Time:                        N/A
    Logon Mode:                           Interactive only
    Last Run Time:                        N/A
    Last Result:                          1
    Author:                               WIN81-ENT-01\Jeff
    Task To Run:                          notepad
    Start In:                             N/A
    Comment:                              N/A
    Scheduled Task State:                 Disabled
    Idle Time:                            Disabled
    Power Management:                     Stop On Battery Mode, No Start On Batteries
    Run As User:                          WIN81-ENT-01\Jeff
    Delete Task If Not Rescheduled:       Disabled
    Stop Task If Runs X Hours and X Mins: 72:00:00
    Schedule:                             Scheduling data is not available in this format.
    Schedule Type:                        Monthly
    Start Time:                           10:00:00 AM
    Start Date:                           7/31/2016
    End Date:                             N/A
    Days:                                 32
    Months:                               JAN, JUL, DEC
    Repeat: Every:                        Disabled
    Repeat: Until: Time:                  Disabled
    Repeat: Until: Duration:              Disabled
    Repeat: Stop If Still Running:        Disabled

And you can use it to export to a CSV file.

schtasks /query /v /fo csv | out-file c:\work\tasks.csv

Which you can then re-import into PowerShell.

$tasks = Import-csv c:\work\tasks.csv

$tasks | group "Schedule Type" -NoElement | sort count

Count Name
    ----- ----
        1 Monthly
        1 Weekly
        3 One Time Only
        6 Scheduling data is not...
        6 One Time Only, Hourly
        6 At idle time
       13 At system start up
       19 Undefined
       29 At logon time
       29 When an event occurs
       35 Daily
       53 On demand only
       76 Schedule Type

• Alternatively:

$servername = "yourmachinename";
    $taskname = "yourtaskname";
    $schserv = new-object -com("schedule.service");
    $schserv.connect($servername);
    $task = $schserv.getfolder("\").gettask($taskname);
    ### This will list out the xml for the entire task.
    $task.xml

From the xml, you should see something like:

<Triggers>
      <TimeTrigger>
        <StartBoundary>2015-04-20T17:05:00</StartBoundary>
        <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      </TimeTrigger>
      <CalendarTrigger>
        <StartBoundary>2015-07-17T17:05:00</StartBoundary>
        <Enabled>true</Enabled>
        <ScheduleByMonthDayOfWeek>
          <Weeks>
            <Week>2</Week>
          </Weeks>
          <DaysOfWeek>
            <Tuesday />
          </DaysOfWeek>
          <Months>
            <January />
            <February />
            <March />
            <April />
            <May />
            <June />
            <July />
            <August />
            <September />
            <October />
            <November />
            <December />
          </Months>
        </ScheduleByMonthDayOfWeek>
      </CalendarTrigger>
    </Triggers>
  • I think the bottom line is that the ScheduledTasks cmdlets are not "feature-complete".

• Jeffery Hicks said:
    I think the bottom line is that the ScheduledTasks cmdlets are not "feature-complete".

Haha, you're not kidding.  Another interesting 'feature' i've discovered is that there's one specific Trigger property outside of the schedule which for some reason is not exposed if the trigger type is MSFT_TaskTrigger.  In that case you also find that the RandomDelay property isn't visible.

Thanks for the comments guys.  I've only just checked back today and i've pretty much done what you describe.

My routine now follows this flow:

1. Bind to the trigger collection and enumerate each.

2. If the trigger type is anything other than MSFT_TaskTrigger then I can build the description of the trigger using just the regular object module.

3. In the case of MSFT_TaskTrigger I build a scriptblock which runs SchTasks and reads back the XML into an object.  From there I parse the XML and dynamically build an object which is returned to the calling routine.  I can then use the Invoke-Command to run the script block on the remote machine with the required credentials.

4. I also did some coding in the routing so that the original Trigger is updated so that the RandomDelay attribute can be read.  It looks like the routine is working now as expected and it's quite robust.

I'd rather not post code fragments but if anyone is interested in the completed script once it's done then i'll happily post it here.  The intention is that you can run it against one or more hosts and have it build a nicely formatted XLSX document which describes the scheduled tasks, their configuration and state.

It started off as a relatively quick job but the more i've dug into the Task Scheduler the more i've come to appreciate it's complexities and the plethora of options it offers.  I'd say the script should be done early next week.

Thanks

Pete

• In the meantime, I suggest you go to the Connect site and file a bug.  Once you've done that, report back here and we'll "vote it up."

• Hi Bob,

That's a great suggestion.

I'll get the issue reported and come back with the details once i've got them.

Thanks

Pete

• Hi,

Unfortunately it would seem that Microsoft Connect only allows submission of bug reports for specific products and I can't see any that would be relevent for me to file against in this case :-(

Pete