Copy-Item or Robocopy

# Hi,

# I would like to use a simple copy by Copy-Item , but criteria is to exclude a big folder while copying named "Virtual Machines":

copy-item 

C:\Users\R2D2\Documents -destination F:\Backup\Docs -exclude C:\Users\R2D2\Documents\"Virtual Machines" -recurse -verbose

# I tried Copy-Item with -exclude parameter, but somehow only robocopy could use well exclude (/XD) to copy.

robocopy 

C:\Users\R2D2\Documents F:\Backup\Docs /E /XD C:\Users\R2D2\Documents\"Virtual Machines" /LOG+:"C:\Temp\robolog.txt"

# Do you think I have to use Robocopy for this sort of copy tasks? Or just missed something from my Copy-Item example?

# Thanks in advance

# R.

Parents
No Data
  • I have used other softwrares like Robocopy, Teracopy and others but they failed at some point or other. So after searching a lot I found GS Richcopy. And this was the end of all my problems! It was easy to use unlike Robocopy, it provided long path name support unlike teracopy, it utilises all the cores of the CPU through its multi threaded file transfer unlike other software. This is the best that I have seen so far. I am using its enterprise version, its affordable according to the features they provide!

Children
No Data