Return the value of homedrive/homedirectory for specific user

Hello!

I'm an extreme newb when it comes to all things PowerShell. Most of my use has come through Google-Fu.

Due to all this COVID-19 fun, we are supporting a larger amount of teleworkers. For the entity I work for, different teams manage different agencies/OUs. One particular OU utilizes .kix scripts for login. As you can imagine, when a user logs in to their machine, they are not connected to VPN and therefore the script can't map network shares.

What I am trying to accomplish is find a way to query the logged in user's homedrive/homedirectory so I can output that as a variable to be called in a post-VPN manual execution of the .kix. The .kix maps shared drives for the agency, so before I call the .kix I'd like to programmatically map the home drive of the current user, without having to explicitly define each user in a unique instance of the file.

Here is what I tried in PowerShell, with a couple variants, always giving me parameter/argument errors...

get-aduser -filter SamAccountName -like $env:username -properties homedrive, homedirectory

-EDIT-

I think I am getting closer by assigning the environment variable to my own variable, and calling that variable in the following:

$cU = $env:username
Get-ADUser -Filter {name -like $cU} -Properties homedrive, homedirectory

But now, the line seems to execute but provides no feedback, error or return value...

-Edit-

...And that's because there isn't anything being returned... I had the return written to file, file is blank. Cool...

-EDIT-

Closer yet...

I need to figure out how to trim this data now...

Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -like $cU} -Properties SamAccountName, HomeDrive, HomeDirectory | Out-File -FilePath .\Test.txt -NoClobber

In case anyone is wondering, stumbling through my stumblings... apparently if you want to filter on a property, you also need to declare that in the Properties... (correct me if I am wrong). The FilePath for Out-File with the way I've annotated it just basically places that text file where the script line is already pointing (current directory). NoClobber just means don't overwrite if it exists.

• Well, that was fun...

Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -like $cU} -Properties SamAccountName, HomeDrive, HomeDirectory | Select-Object SamAccountName, HomeDrive, HomeDirectory

That's what I was looking for. Hopefully my foolishness digging around in the dark helps someone else find the light a lot quicker.