Cisco Router/firewall Can't Show Cpu And Memory

Hi Guys,

I downloaded the plug-ins for the CISCO CPU-Memory usage. But after filling some necessary informations and check the sample output. It gives me an error message looks like the one below.

* custom1:
* Response Time: 599

My monitoring station is Sparc V240 and I'm running Solaris 10. The network device I am trying to monitor is a Cisco PIX Security Appliance Version 7.2(2)19.

Please help to give some ideas on what are the things that I need to check. Attach is a screen shots that shows my settings.

Thanks a lot!

Cris

• Hi Cris,
    The plug-in monitor you are having trouble with is designed specifically for Cisco routers. It checks the IOS version on the router to determine how it is going to gather the correct stats so it is very unlikely (as you have seen) that it will work across different IOS versions and device types. Have you investigated gathering this info directly from SNMP using the SNMP service monitor?

Dave

• QUOTE(David Leith @ Apr 18 2008, 02:00 PM) [snapback]690[/snapback]
    Hi Cris,
    The plug-in monitor you are having trouble with is designed specifically for Cisco routers. It checks the IOS version on the router to determine how it is going to gather the correct stats so it is very unlikely (as you have seen) that it will work across different IOS versions and device types. Have you investigated gathering this info directly from SNMP using the SNMP service monitor?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll check with our network team if they have a CISCO router that I can play with for testing.

As for the SNMP network service monitor, can you tell me something on which MIBs that I need to load or select in order to at least get some essential information? Please bear with me for I am actually new to this monitoring stuff specially getting around on the network devices.

Configuring the SNMP service monitor just gave me an output shown below:

* Response time: 1

This is just by filling up some information and accepting the default MIBs as shown in the attached file.

Thanks for your help.

Cris

• QUOTE(CrisJosue @ Apr 21 2008, 02:12 AM) [snapback]691[/snapback]
    Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll check with our network team if they have a CISCO router that I can play with for testing.

As for the SNMP network service monitor, can you tell me something on which MIBs that I need to load or select in order to at least get some essential information? Please bear with me for I am actually new to this monitoring stuff specially getting around on the network devices.

Configuring the SNMP service monitor just gave me an output shown below:

* Response time: 1

This is just by filling up some information and accepting the default MIBs as shown in the attached file.

Thanks for your help.

Cris

Hello Cris,

Following is the link to our KB article with the list of required Net-SNMP MIBs along with detailed instructions.

http://support.uptimesoftware.com/article.php?id=131

Let us know if you have any more questions regarding this.

• QUOTE(Shilpa Punia @ Apr 21 2008, 07:56 PM) [snapback]692[/snapback]
    Hello Cris,

Following is the link to our KB article with the list of required Net-SNMP MIBs along with detailed instructions.

http://support.uptimesoftware.com/article.php?id=131

Let us know if you have any more questions regarding this.

Hi Shilpa,

Thanks for the message. I asked our network team to put a router instead of a firewall as advised by Dave and then following the instructions from the URL you have provided, I only got this information.

” C3845-DR1
    Architecture Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright © 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 18-Jul-07 11:59 by prod_rel_team”

It seems that it can see the System Name and Architecture of the device but other informations for at least about the CPUs shows nothing.

'Hope to get answers about this…Thanks a lot!

• Hi Cris,
    You may want to contact support to walk through some different configuration options here. The net-SNMP type only works fully if all 3 MIBS are fully available on the server or network device, it is in general geared more towards servers. Most network devices don't have all 3. The plug-in Cisco Router CPU/Mem monitor works differently, it uses a small MIB set found commonly on Cisco routers so it should work against this device where it didn't work against your firewall.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Hi Dave,

For the plug-in “Cisco Router CPU-Memory Usage” service, do I need to fill-up all the service instances within or just some of the few as needed, because it gives me an unknown message still.

Thanks..!

• All you have to enter is script name and community string. It's probably best for you to contact support on this issue so they can walk through the process and any debugging in a live format.

Regards,

Dave