Snmp Monitoring

Hi All,

I have a couple questions regarding Uptime 5 SNMP.

1. Does it support Vendor specific MIBs (i.e. we would like to monitor our Brocade 48000 SAN switches)?
  2. Is there documentation on what counters / statistics are Monitored using SNMP
  • Hi Daniel,
    Regarding your questions:

1. Yes; just place any/all MIBs on the up.time monitoring station (under /GUI/MI:cool: and you can then add the device to up.time and add a SNMP monitor. Then just load the MIB from server and select the MIB(s) you just added and that's all there is to it.
    You can also load the MIBs from your local desktop, but this sometimes causes issues when the MIB you are trying to load references other MIB files. Placing all of them on the server (like the above steps) will allow it to work properly.

2. When adding a device to up.time you can add it as a “Node” type or a “Net-SNMP” device type.
    The Node type will not get any stats by default.
    The Net-SNMP device type will get the OIDs described in the following KB article:

Net-SNMP Metrics
    http://support.uptimesoftware.com/article.php?id=131

If the device does not return the MIBs/OIDs described in the above article you may notice “No data available” messages for that system under the graphing section. This is because the device is not a valid Net-SNMP device and should be deleted and re-added as a Node type.

• I was wondering if the information here was still valid? I have a Netapp that I would like to be notified if any LUNs go offline. I have all the MIBs and was searching for a way to configure this in Uptime. I don’t, however, have a mib folder in the location listed above. Is this something I can create and put in place or is the folder now located or integrated elsewhere? I am under the Program Filesuptime softwareuptimeGUI directory.

Thank you.

• Hi Michael,

Monitoring of SNMP enabled devices is much improved in up.time 7, so the guidance from this thread is not very applicable.  This page in the online documentation explains how to add MIBS to up.time to use with the SNMP Poller monitor.

http://docs.uptimesoftware.com/display/UT/Network+Service+Monitors#NetworkServiceMonitors-AddingMIBstoup.time

Regards,

Chris