Precise’s Command Line Interface (CLI)

by Jul 31, 2019

The CLI can be a convenient and fast way to make changes to the monitored deployment.   The CLI is very versatile.  Just about all functions that can be completed in the GUI's Installation Wizard can be scripted in the CLI.  That said, the Installation Wizard found under the “Installation” tab is frankly easier for adding a new server.   Using a combination of the GUI and CLI allows for the fastest completion of install/de-install tasks.

CLI commands are sometimes run on the Precise server and other times, they are executed on the monitored server.  That will be explicit here.  This post will be updated from time to time with additions.  It will start with a limited number of delete examples.  This is a beginning. 

========

There are times when a server or database instance is decommissioned; however, it still appears in the Precise GUI.  Sometimes AdminPoint’s Install/de-install wizard “Delete” process will leave a component.  These CLI commands will remove those vestiges.  They are executed from a Windows CMD screen or at the command line on Linux on the Precise Server.

Run the following command to remove Instance from the FocalPoint Server

On Windows:
infrabinpsin_cli.bat -action remove-instance-from-db -instance <instance name> -server <server name> -technology <2 letters technology ID> -i3-user <i3 admin user name> -i3-clear-password <i3 admin user password>

Here is a list of technology codes.  It is taken from the Appendix B of the CLI user’s guide:

This is the CLI command that was run in my demo environment.  The IP address is bogus.  The CLI is run from the Precise home, in this case C:Precise.  The command uses relative pathing and will not work from the sub-folder.

infrabinpsin_cli.bat -action remove-instance-from-db -instance MLDB -server 11.11.1.11 -technology SQ -i3-user admin -i3-clear-password admin

Command Prompt example:

On Unix:
./infra/bin/psin_cli.sh -action remove-instance-from-db – instance <instance name> -server <server name> -technology <2 letters technology ID> -i3-user <i3 admin user name> -i3-clear-password <i3 admin user password>

You can just run the command below to remove the Server (Listener) (will remove all instances on that server).  Thus, it is more powerful than the command above and would be appropriate to use if all components of a monitored server are to be removed from the Precise server.  It was used in the demo environment to remove a Listener showing under Agents.  These commands are run on the Precise server.

On Windows:
infrabinpsin_cli.bat -action remove-server-from-db -server <server name> -i3-user <i3 admin user name> -i3-clear-password <i3 admin user password>

This is the CLI command that was used to remove a phantom Listener from the Precise Focalpoint server.

infrabinpsin_cli.bat -action remove-server-from-db -server 11.11.11.11 -i3-user admin -i3-clear-password admin

On Unix:
./infra/bin/psin_cli.sh -action remove-server-from-db -server <server name> -i3-user <i3 admin user name> -i3-clear-password <i3 admin user password>

The Command Line Interface user’s guide can be downloaded here:    Precise User's Guides.