I just downloaded this and have had it running about 10 minutes now and while I see the bubbles (and maximized the screen to minimize their annoying random movement), the upper windows never populate.
The all say “No data yet. At least 2 data points are required (a point is recorded every 2 second(s).”
I figure if I’ve been running for at least 10 minutes, at least a few of the processes should have multiple data points? How do I get the upper windows to populate?
This issue has been reported by another user, but seems to be isolated. We are looking into it. Would you mind letting us know more about your setup such as what type of hardware, SQL Server version, and OS version you are running?
SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Virtual Server – not actual physical server but VM).
Thank you for researching.
I am also experiencing the same issue. My environment is SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Hi, after downloading the latest version we are also seeing this issue using Win 7 PC’s to query against multiple sql server instances including:
SQL Server 2008 std SP4 (10.0.6000.29) running on a windows server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 32 bit.
SQL Server 2008 std SP4 (10.0.6000.29) running on a windows server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 64 bit.
SQL Server 2008 R2 std SP3 (10.50.6000.34) running on windows server 2008 R2 Std SP1 64 bit
SQL Server 2008 R2 std SP3 (10.50.6000.34) running on windows server 2003 R2 enterprise SP2
However, the graphs display correctly when we run against
SQL Server 2008 R2 std SP3 (10.50.6000.34) running on windows server 2008 R2 enterprise 64 bit SP1
The upper chart data is retrieved by querying master..sysperfinfo. This table represents internal performance counters that can be displayed through the Windows System Monitor. Since it’s possible that performance counters can be corrupted or missing, it would be useful to determine if this is a missing data issue or not.
Here are several queries that could be run on target systems experiencing this problem to answer this question.
SELECT COUNT(*) from master..sysperfinfo –> result would be total count of available performance counters
SELECT COUNT(*) from master..sysperfinfo where counter_name=’Page lookups/sec’ -> result should be exactly 1
It would be also useful to know if using the DMV equivalent of this older system view on SQL Server 2008 and above returns different results of instance experiencing this issue:
SELECT COUNT(*) from sys.dm_os_performance_counters
For one of the instances that is not displaying graphs the queries show:
SELECT COUNT(*) from master..sysperfinfo
SELECT COUNT(*) from master..sysperfinfo where counter_name=’Page lookups/sec’
SELECT COUNT(*) from sys.dm_os_performance_counters
I couldn’t find a table called dm_pdw_nodes_os_performance_counters in our 2008 or 2008R2 instances.
All other instances show similar results (albeit that the performance counter count(*) gives a different value)
Does this help?
Sorry, typo in previous thread. The DMV is SELECT COUNT(*) from sys.dm_os_performance_counters.
I’ve passed this information off to the product manager responsible for this tool. I’ve requested that they focus on data/UI rendering as a possible area for further investigation.
If it helps, here’s the results I got from running those 3 queries:
Also, here’s the help about info from MSSMS:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 12.0.2000.8
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 12.0.2000.8
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.3.9600.16384
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.9600.17498
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.34014
Operating System 6.3.9600
The O/S is Window Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
Processor: AMD Opteron Processor 4164EE 1.80GHz (2 processors)
Installed RAM: 64GB
I installed the older version, 3.5, this morning and the windows do populate on that version. Problem seems to be specific to the newer version.
Thanks, Mark. Idera development team is actively comparing versions and analyzing additional customer logs that have been sent in. When there is an update it will be reported back to this forum.
NOTE: It was previously reported in this thread that VIEW SERVER STATE was the only permission required to gather data. There is another permission required to gather ALL process TSQL for display in the Process Chart when you hover over a bubble that comes from a call to DBCC INPUTBUFFER. To get all process TSQL in that popup, SYSADMIN role is required, otherwise it could possibly fail unless the user account owns that process. That is one of the areas that is under investigation.
There is a new version of SQL Check v18.104.22.1684 now available that fixes the charts not displaying issue on some user systems discussed in this thread. It can be downloaded from the Idera website at www.idera.com/.../sqlcheck
Thank you for your patience as this was a difficult issue to isolate and a BIG THANKS to AW and Mark for helping us out. It is great to have people like you as part of the Idera community.
I installed the newest version 22.214.171.1244 and now cannot open it at all. Getting:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: idera.sql.check.exe
Problem Signature 02: 126.96.36.1994
Problem Signature 03: 5603da34
Problem Signature 04: Idera.SQL.Check.Core
Problem Signature 05: 188.8.131.524
Problem Signature 06: 5603da2c
Problem Signature 07: 21
Problem Signature 08: 36
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException