How do you know it's bad?

Just started using this tool because one of our applications that has a SQL database on our shared server is experiencing performance issues, and we wanted to rule the SQL database/server out….

SQL Check looks nice, has nice charts, etc – but how do you know if something is bad? There doesn’t seem to be too much information provided for someone who hasn’t been a DBA for 20 years…

Where do I start looking for bad performance? For instance, all the bubbles at the bottom – all are blue, with one big red one – the status of the red one says “sleeping” – is that bad? No idea where to start…

Thanks for any beginner advice!

• Dave,

I can’t directly comment on how you would troubleshoot a performance issue that you would potentially be seeing in your environment. Fortunately, there are a number of online resources that are available regarding that topic. For example, www.sqlshack.com/.../ provides some suggestions on things that you can look at, although there’s no specific reference to SQL check. Some of the items that SQL check provides can be useful.

In regards to the bubbles shown in the SQL check tool, one simple explanation could be “the larger the bubble, the more active the session”. In the area where the bubbles are shown, there’s “Show Legend” link that provides an image that provides an illustration on other things that you may see with the bubble themselves.

• I, too, came here to find out how to use SQL check to detect potential issues. I find it interesting that we’re directed to an unrelated third party instead of getting an answer to the question.

• Adam, yeah, “free-ware” quickly becomes “crap-ware” if it doesn’t do anything. This software really doesn’t give you any good information on fixing issues.

I equate it to the “check engine light” – yeah, the lights on, but what’s wrong?

This is their game to get you to purchase their diagnostics tool.