Help me understand Summary Lineage types

I am reverse engineering (Importing) SSIS packages into ER/Studio in order to produce Data Lineage diagrams.  Would someone please help me understand the difference between Activity Driven, Source Driven, and Target Driven summary lineage.  Specifically, what business problem is addressed by each lineage type?  When would you use one over another?

THANKS!
Jim

• Ok, so I get to answer my own question!  Here is what I found for the benefit of the community....

When importing SSIS packages into ER/Studio in order to produce Data Lineage diagrams, we have 3 options:

• Activity Driven
    • Source Driven
    • Target Driven

Each of these is helpful for different reasons.

Source Driven imports start with the Source and build a diagram through transform(s) to Target(s).  Each Source is only listed once.  Source driven Lineages support Impact Analysis.  These types of lineages answer questions like:

• What are the effects of changing an object?
    • Where does the data in the source get propagated to?
    • What changes are made downstream to the object?

Target Driven imports start from the Target and build a diagram through transform(s) to Sources.  Each Target is listed only once.  Target drive lineages support Root Cause Analysis and answer questions like:

• Where did this object come from?
    • What changes were made to the object before it got to the target?

Activity Driven imports start from the Transform (Activity) and build a diagram with all of the sources and targets involved in the activity.  Each Source, Transform (Activity), and Target is listed only once.  Its a nice high level diagram that shows:

• What objects are source(s) and target(s) for a particular transform?
    • What data is input to each transform?
    • What data is output from each transform?

In addition to the data fields involved in the lineage, you can also see the code involved (but see below for a possible problem) and (you can) provide a business-level explanation of each transform.

Possible problem:  In digging around, I found that the import failed to bring in the SQLTask information.  Specifically the SQLTask:SqlStatementSource which would be nice to see as it is the SQL statement that actually transformed the data.  These are located in the SSIS packages as "<DTS:Executables>".  Since I am new to all of this, the problem might lie with what I used as parameters for the import.

Hope this was helpful for someone!

Jim