Files created by VirtualDB

Good day,
The VDB documentation explains the files and sizes created by VDB, for example for a 500Mb backup, it requires 51Kb.
I have a dump of 60Mb, but when I create the virtual DB, VDB creates an mdf and ldf in the directory specified, of the same size as the original database (around 300Mb each).
I notice in the forum that others ask the same question, but I’ve not seen a response.
Thanks

• Hello Steve Ottway,

The values in the chart from the documentation are just typical sample file sizes. The actually size of the virtual data files may vary as the amount of disk space consumed by the virtual data files depends on the size and content of your backup files.

Another thing to note is the size for these files may display incorrectly in tools such as Management Studio. To see the correct size, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the file and then view the file properties.

• Good day,
    Your reply doesn’t really answer my question, which is that VDB creates an mdf et ldf of the same size as the original DB.
    The product documentation implies that the backup is used as a virtual database and disk space requirements are minimal, the reality seems to be that I need at least as much disk space as the original database, which is limiting in the case of very large DBs.
    In that respect the DB created is more a temporary DB than a virtual one.
    Regards.