SQLSafe Silent Installs

by Nov 2, 2014

Is there documentation for doing scripted/silent installs of SQLSafe?

Responses

Hi Matt,

To register an agent with a Management Service during silent install, the msiexec command needs to include the parameter MANAGEMENT_SERVICE=<servername>. The full msiexec command will look like this:

msiexec /qn /i <path_to_msi>\SQLsafeBackupService.msi BACKUPSERVICEUSERNAME=<username> BACKUPSERVICEPASSWORD=<password> MANAGEMENT_SERVICE=<servername>

Note that BACKUPSERVICEUSERNAME and BACKUPSERVICEPASSWORD are optional, and if omitted, the service will be installed as LocalSystem. After the agent is installed and starts a backup, it will connect to the Management Service and grab an available license. You will need to make sure that licenses are available, and that the option “Automatically license instances for scripted agent deployments” is checked in the License Key Manager dialog (it’s checked by default).

With a multi-instance license key (introduced with SQL Safe Backup 7.4) the agent will automatically get a license from the Management Service after install (as long as that option is checked in license dialog). If you are using single-instance licensing, a key will have to be applied to the agent after it is installed. This can be done from the console or the CLI.

For more on deploying the backup agent and managing licenses please see the SQL Safe documentation:
wiki.idera.com/…/How the Backup Agent works

Thanks Richard! We are currently on version 7.2. For our normal install on a server we do a custom install and do SQLSafe Management Console Only. We then enter the Management Server location which is one of the items you specified above. We also enter a specific path for the default backup. Is there a switch for that parameter also?

Thanks again,
Matt

I realize this post is rather stale but I hoped to dovetail off of this topic rather than create a new one unnecessarily…

I ran the MSI command that Richard provided and it successfully created the services on the server I was working with. What I would like to know:
1. Is there a command to install the extended stored procedures?
2. Is there a command to register the server in the repository?

Thank you.

I know this is a rather late response but I wanted to provide an answer to the last two questions.

1. Is there a command to install the extended stored procedures?

Once you have the SQLsafe Backup Service installed on the target server, you can use the SQLsafe command line interface to install the SQLsafe XSPs.

The following command line examples show how the SQLsafe command line can be used to install the SQLsafe XSPs. If the target SQL Server instance is on a cluster, the virtual names must be used for the -Server parameter. The -InstanceName parameter is not necessary if installing to the default instance.

Example:

SQLsafeCmd InstallXsp -Server <server_name> -InstanceName <instance_name>

If you wish to deploy the SQLsafe XSPs to multiple instances on a specific server, you can provide an asterisk for the instance name. The following example will install the XSPs on all SQL Server instances hosted on the remote server named SERVER1.

Example:

SQLsafeCmd InstallXsp -Server “SERVER1” -InstanceName *

2. Is there a command to register the server in the repository?

Unfortunately, there is not. The registration of the instance still has to be performed through the SQLsafe Management Console and/or the SQL Safe Web Console.