Modifying Alert Settings

Is there a method to adjust the alert settings. I find some of the setting too restrictive (such as level 3 warning at 80% volume capacity). Addtionally, the email alert for instance unavailable is way too sensitive for a very large network. We would desire the ability to generate the alert after a certain level of communication loss. I am current getting more than 4000 email alerts a day.

Parents
  • Hey folks. Sorry to be such a late comer to this discussion. There ARE plans to provide more configurability for collection, retention, and alerting. I don’t expect it to ever be quite to the level that diagnostic manager provides however. In fact, recently, the product focus has shifted from a health monitoring tool to more of an inventory tool. On that note, it is about to re-release as “SQL Inventory Manager”. We’ve added functionality useful to an inventory tool like custom fields for the instance, tagging of databases, some extra options around discovery, and a few others. There are also some stability fixes and performance enhancements, and integration into our new “Dashboard”, where the other tools are headed, and Diagnostic Manager and Business Intelligence manager are today.

Not to completely ignore your question though. Here is a script you can run that will show you all of the thresholds for alerting in SQL Elements. You can then go adjust the appropriate values in the alert_thresholds table to suit your needs.

use IderaElementsRepository
    SELECT alert_metadata.metric_id, alert_thresholds.metric_id, alert_metadata.name, alert_thresholds.critical, alert_thresholds.warning, alert_thresholds.informational, alert_metadata.description
    FROM alert_metadata INNER JOIN
    alert_thresholds ON alert_metadata.metric_id = alert_thresholds.metric_id

After you have adjusted thresholds, you can also adjust the timing of the collection of various sets of information. Someone asked us today, could they monitor the space used on their drives at a tighter interval. By default we do that every hour. Here is what that looks like.

SELECT i.[name] as Instance, s.[instance_id], s.[job_type]
    ,s.[job_description]
    ,s.[active]
    ,s.[run_every]
    ,s.[days_of_week]
    FROM [IderaElementsRepository].[dbo].[job_schedules] AS s
    LEFT JOIN [IderaElementsRepository].[dbo].[instances] AS i ON
    i.[instance_id] = s.[instance_id]
    ORDER BY instance_id, job_type

the run_every column tells SQL Elements how often to run that collection. This number is in seconds. The first few lines not associated to an instance are for discovery, the rest are assigned to each instance to pull the corresponding data.

So, long story short, at present, if you want to adjust the alerting thresholds or collection intervals it is a bit of a manual task.

• Hey folks. Sorry to be such a late comer to this discussion. There ARE plans to provide more configurability for collection, retention, and alerting. I don’t expect it to ever be quite to the level that diagnostic manager provides however. In fact, recently, the product focus has shifted from a health monitoring tool to more of an inventory tool. On that note, it is about to re-release as “SQL Inventory Manager”. We’ve added functionality useful to an inventory tool like custom fields for the instance, tagging of databases, some extra options around discovery, and a few others. There are also some stability fixes and performance enhancements, and integration into our new “Dashboard”, where the other tools are headed, and Diagnostic Manager and Business Intelligence manager are today.

Not to completely ignore your question though. Here is a script you can run that will show you all of the thresholds for alerting in SQL Elements. You can then go adjust the appropriate values in the alert_thresholds table to suit your needs.

use IderaElementsRepository
    SELECT alert_metadata.metric_id, alert_thresholds.metric_id, alert_metadata.name, alert_thresholds.critical, alert_thresholds.warning, alert_thresholds.informational, alert_metadata.description
    FROM alert_metadata INNER JOIN
    alert_thresholds ON alert_metadata.metric_id = alert_thresholds.metric_id

After you have adjusted thresholds, you can also adjust the timing of the collection of various sets of information. Someone asked us today, could they monitor the space used on their drives at a tighter interval. By default we do that every hour. Here is what that looks like.

SELECT i.[name] as Instance, s.[instance_id], s.[job_type]
    ,s.[job_description]
    ,s.[active]
    ,s.[run_every]
    ,s.[days_of_week]
    FROM [IderaElementsRepository].[dbo].[job_schedules] AS s
    LEFT JOIN [IderaElementsRepository].[dbo].[instances] AS i ON
    i.[instance_id] = s.[instance_id]
    ORDER BY instance_id, job_type

the run_every column tells SQL Elements how often to run that collection. This number is in seconds. The first few lines not associated to an instance are for discovery, the rest are assigned to each instance to pull the corresponding data.

So, long story short, at present, if you want to adjust the alerting thresholds or collection intervals it is a bit of a manual task.

Children
No Data