Compare Indexes and Foreign Keys only

I just installed the SQL Compare tool and am trying to use it to do what my old compare could not do. First of all I am working with tables with over 550 million records and cannot just change these structures without killing my system. We are also only using SQL Server standard 2008 so I don’t have partition options available. I am confident that my table structures match except for FILEGROUP and my primary keys are there even thought they have different system names. All I want to be returned in the compare is non-clustered indexes and Foreign Keys adds\changes.
Help Please? Otherwise I will need to edit the whole script as I did in the older tool we have.
Thanks

• Hi Cynthia,

Idera SQL schema compare should allow you to limit your comparison to specific features and components in the databases. When you configure the comparison, there’s a button for Options and on the first pane there’s a checklist of which objects you want to compare. You can uncheck most of them and retain comparison of Foreign Keys and Indexes. There’s not an option to distinguish between clustered and non-clustered indexes directly, but this may get you near what you’re looking for. If you find there’s something specific that the tool could do but that doesn’t seem to be built into the current feature set, just let us know and we’d be happy to turn that into a feature request for future development.

Thanks!

• Hello,

Thank you for your response. I have been able to filter the comparison itself but even though I also filtered for the script, I am still getting a script with table drops because of filegroup differences and default names when all I wanted was to script out the missing indexes and foreign keys.
    I’m looking for a script that I don’t have to edit.

• In the latest release of the SQL comparison toolset, we would expect you to be able to generate the script you’re looking for through the SQL comparison toolset. I suspect there’s a more specific reason that your particular comparison isn’t working as expected. If you’d like additional assistance with this, please contact Support@idera.com and we should be able to get you in touch with some resources who can help investigate why the resulting script doesn’t include all of the tables and objects we want to see.

If you have a current maintenance contract for the SQL comparison toolset you could also log in to the portal at idera.secure.force.com/ and create a case through the portal itself.

Thanks!