cannot find group policy items in registry

hi guys, i'm trying to write a script to configure several group policy items but unable to find their corresponding paths in the registry.

the group policy items that i'm trying to configure are:

1) computer configuration -> administrative templates -> control panel -> personalization -> do not display the lock screen
2) computer configuration -> administrative templates -> system -> power management -> sleep settings -> require a password when a computer wakes (plugged in)
3) user configuration -> administrative templates -> system -> power management -> prompt for password on resume from hibernate/suspend

i want to use set-itemproperty to configure them in the registry but unable to find them. i did a registry search and found some powersettings keys but they don't seem to contain the values i'm looking for.

Parents
No Data
  • I'd really doubt if many would know where these registry settings are off the top of their heads, unless they, themselves mess with them regularly or in some past process / work.

So, discovery is often a matter manual digging and or of monitoring system actions, using say, the MS SysInternals tools https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

Process Monitor v3.50

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

…or other 3rdP thingy, as you make changes using the GPEditor, the saving / exporting those discoveries for later use, automation or manual. Well, that’s not what we are here to do. So, it’s just a matter of:

• starting the GPOEditor
    • Starting Procmon
    • Make your changes in the GPOEditor
    • Search Procmon output for your setting you made.

Remember, we are here to help with issues / errors you are having with your scripts.

This is not a PS issue or error. 8^} 

It's a homework assignment, on Windows registry mining to discover what hives / keys are impacted if one does X or Y change / setting. 8^}

Also, remember as you use tools, they are running on the user context, so, changes can end up in the HKCU vs HKLM.

Children