I do not see the same information in the PowerShell console and RegEdit

Hello

I am logged on to a Windows 10 computer (PowerShell 5.1.x) as a standard user

if I open RegEdit and navigate to 

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

under this key there is a string entry named Domain which may or may not have a value depending on weather or not your computer is joined to an AD domain.

In any event (value or not) you can see the key in RegEdit

if I open a PowerShell prompt and navigate to the same location (e.g. CD HKLM: etc …)  I do not see the Domain entry listed at all, I see several other entries listed but not Domain (the value of Domain is populated)

Therefore when logged in as the same user why can I see the value in RegEdit but not in PowerShell ?

Thanks

CAshtones

Parents
  • What are you trying to accomplish by CD to that location?

Just viewing the contents of that location can be done several ways. You really cannot directly CD (push-location or set-location) to it, since those are properties with values contained in the parameters key. You can only navigate to a key not parameters or values in that key.

Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
        Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters | Get-Member
        (Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters).Domain
        (Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters).ICSDomain

Get-ChildItem -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip -Recurse
        Get-ChildItem -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters -Recurse

Adding to and / or Changing that content is accomplish in similar ways.

Reply Children
No Data