Welcome to the Idera SQL Check forum

Welcome to the Idera SQL Check forum. Please feel free to post your questions, feedback, and technical support issues here.

You can always access the latest version of SQL Check here: http://www.idera.com/productssolutions/freetools/sqlcheck

• Can anyone please guide on how you are utilizing this tool in your environment.is it only graphical view or we can see the transactions ,I mean behind the scene from the graphical for all the options like CPU ,Processes,cache,waits etc....
  • In reply to richieasir@gmail.com:

Anyone Kindly help me my above query

Indeed, this tool provides a graphical view of the performance metrics and their trends over time. This tool does not provide a drill down into the details of the displayed performance metrics.
  • In reply to Peter V.:

Thank you Peter.

I have not installed other tools but I have the link to download and install it. right now I am testing it in Dev environment ( For Prod,we are using SQL DM).

So
    a) these tools give only the current performance and No History?
    b)We cant see any transactions from the SQL CHECK tool, so it is useful for Prod environment (an example -when we are Priority calls)?
    c)What is the efficient way to use this tool ( is it only for graphical purpose?)?

And is the same case for every other tool (only graphical perspective and no drill down information’s)

Any guide ( other than the forum) or documentation you have for these tools are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richie

Re: a) -- Indeed, SQL Check displays the current performance trends and not the history. You can adjust the horizontal time axes of its trend charts via its Options window, with a maximum of 9999 seconds that is equivalent to ~2.8 hours.

Re: b) -- For a selected instance, SQL Check displays trend charts of waits, disk wait/seek time, physical reads/writes, cache hits, CPU usage, and SQL throughput. It also shows a bubble chart of processes. You can switch between registered instances with a single mouse click in the Server Explorer panel. As such, we believe that this free tool is useful in any environment (including in a production environment) for a quick overview of the performance of one or more instances.

Re: c) -- Indeed, SQL Check is a graphical tool. It provides a quick overview of SQL Server performance. It is not intended for a drill-down or deep-dive.

Due to the limited nature of the free tools (except for PowerShell Plus and Rapid Database Extractor), we do not provide documentation beyond what is available on the community forum and the product pages. We provide documentation for PowerShell Plus and Rapid Database Extractor.
  • In reply to Peter V.:

Thank you Peter.

" You can adjust the horizontal time axes of its trend charts via its Options window, with a maximum of 9999 seconds that is equivalent to ~2.8 hours." -just curious... is this from the displaying chart ?--can you guide me how this applies to wait stats ,CPU usage etc.

When the SQL Check application is running, it is connected to a SQL Server instance, and it is displaying at least one trend chart (such as 'Waits') in the 'Dashboard' tab:

In the very top-right of the 'Dashboard' tab, on the right side of the light-blue 'HELP' link, select the light-blue gear icon:

In the 'SQL Check Options' dialog, in the left-side navigation tree, select the 'SQL Check' entry:

• The 'Refresh heartbeat graphics every' entry refers to the time interval (in seconds) for sampling data for all of the (trend and bubble) charts.
    • The 'Show heartbeat graphics last' entry refer to the maximum time interval (in seconds) for the horizontal time axis for all of the trend charts.

For example, enter 'Refresh heartbeat graphics every: 1' and 'Show heartbeat graphics last: 9999' to sample data once per second for all of the (trend and bubble) charts and to display 9999 seconds (which is equivalent to ~2.8 hours) worth of data in all of the trend charts.

Refer also to the screen capture image from the product pages.

• In reply to Peter V.:

Thank you so much Peter for your help. Few more queries ,bear wit me if this is an amateur doubt?

If I set to for Example as: Refresh heartbeat graphics every: 1' and 'Show heartbeat graphics last: 9999 at 2.11 AM and If I go to the Graphical Chart to the Wait stats/CPU, I can see the stats on the Graphical chart start time as 2:11 AM.how here the 2 and half worth of data is captured, means it is taking the start time as 2:11 AM and data's captured for 2 and half hours on the chart and then the time changes accordingly after that,means we can see the last 2 and half hours data each time in the chart. is my understanding correct?

Also what is Show Log on the above screenshot. I went in and found it has Text,Session,Thread columns etc. is this related to Idera tool or SQL Server session log also captured as I can see the session number as 1 for all the sessions and all the captured trace has only Idera log?

Thanks,
    Richie

Re: "Show heartbeat graphics last": Yes, I believe that your understanding is correct.

Re: "Show log": That refers to the application log (that is, the log for the software application 'SQL Check'). We can use that log to troubleshoot problems with SQL Check.