How do you handle legends?

After over a decade using ER Studio I still wonder how people do some of the basic stuff I used to do in ERWin.  Most difficult for me is including documentation in the model that explains the model.  I frequently use the background color of a table to indicate meaning.  For instance, in a star schema I often use green for dimensions, blue for facts and yellow for lookups.  Whereas in OLTP models I often use color to group related pieces of data.  Either example means a graphical representation showing the colors and their meanings is valuable.  While I can create a series of shapes with colors and text, you cannot lock them or group them together so the all stay together.  The best you can do is use a boundary box and turn containment on. 

Why in a highly graphical interface is there no facility for dropping a JPG or GIF on the page?  To be honest, I really would like my corporate logo to be on the models.  

Hopefully, the new Idera team will find time to enhance the product they purchased. If so, perhaps they could grab so easy low hanging fruit by adding this feature.

Parents
  • You can also color code models in ER/Studio.  however, for the star schema use case you have described, using our dimensional modeling capability allows you to specify whether entities are Dimension, Fact, Snowflake, Bridge etc. and also detailed categories within those classifications.  Each of the major types also shows a distinct icon on the entity/table so that the are visually identifiable.  ER/Studio will also auto-detect dimensional table types, which you can override as desired.

An additional way to add clarity to models is by defining and using attachments for additional classification metadata.  In ER/Studio, the attachments and values can be displayed directly on the entity/table.  If you wish to be even more advanced, you can create a macro to update entity colors based on attachment values.

We do not currently support adding jpg or gif files to a diagram, but it is in future plans.  ER/Studio Data Architect does provide a title block that contains project, file name, Submodel name, author, company, version, modified date and copyright.

In terms of creating a legend, the way to group shapes and text together is by using a boundary shape and turning containment on.  That is the specific purpose of containment - to lock all objects in the shape in place.

As for enhancing the product, we have introduced a great deal of  innovation and capability to the suite over the past several years, with a continuing cadence of major releases and minor releases.

Reply Children
No Data