What best, in our first big Enterprise Reverse Engineering?

Guys,

New in ERStudio.

We have almost 8 thousands of tables, grouped by  two dozens of dbo or dbschemas, representing a few business.

Some dbschemas are commonly used, let's say, "institutional dbschema".

Two options:

A) (We have done) Reverse engineeering by business, so you will have as *.DM1 files as business you have.  Each project manager, manage their own.

Question: How can I incorporate some relations to those "institutional dbschema"? They are in other *.DM1 File.   I'm still looking for an answer for this.  Any help, wellcome.

B) Reverse engineeering by Enterprise, so you will have just one ENTERPRISE.DM1 file and submodel every business you have with no problem about entity relations among differentes dbo's - dbschemas.

Risk: Administration and accountability I see.   It looks like bulky, not smart.

Parents
  • Hi,

Starting off with option A is a good idea.  There are a couple of options you can use to incorporate some relations.  These options are not exclusive of each other. You can use both at the same time if it makes sense.
    1) You could create an enterprise Logical model in one dm1 file that shows all the relationships between each and use submodels here.  So a bit like option B but only with a logical model.  You'll still maintain your individual dm1 files but you can do a compare and merge and merge changes into that enterprise logical so you can see the big picture.  
    2) Use Universal Mappings.  This allows you to map one object in one dm1 file to another object in another dm1 file.  This way, when you look at the "where used" tab you'll see that this object is related to another object in another dm1 file.

Regards,
    Stan

Reply Children
No Data