Modeling Subject Areas

I may be missing something but I can't find the subject area object options in the current version of ERStudio.  Looking to model a two level subject area structure that I can hang entities off of.  Thanks much.

• Figured out part of the issue. I have the professional version not the business architect tool. Still need to model the construct. Any thoughts on the best way to do it within my constraints?
  • In reply to Art F:

You could use shapes to model the subject areas. Have the shapes contain the tables/objects you want and then you can use the line shape to show relationships.

Another option would be to use Business Data Objects. Use the Business Data objects as your containment and then have tables within it. The benefit of this is that you can minimize the BDO and still see the relationships going out.

Regards,
    Stan
  • In reply to Stanley Chan:

I know I can contain entities within a business object but don't seem to be able to contain a business object within a business object. Looking to have a Major Subject Area that contains a Minor Subject Area that contains entities structure.
  • In reply to Art F:

You are correct in that you cannot contain a BDO within a BDO. You'd have to use a shape as your Major Subject Area to contain the BDO.

One more really dumb question. Is there a way to specify that containment in the properties? Or is it just put the BDO over the shape?
  • In reply to Art F:

are you talking about the Shape containing the BDO? If you right click on the shape, you can choose containment -> enable and anything you put on the shape should be contained there. So when you move the shape, everything in it will move with the shape.

Many thanks!
  • I have upgraded to Enterprise Team Edition. Is there a better way to do this now? (Apologize if this is a duplicate, having browser issues. )
  • In reply to Art F:

I think the options above are about it. You could create a submodel within a submodel, a nested submodel, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. I think a combination of shapes, BDOs and nested submodels will do what you're looking for.

Regards,
    Stan

Looking for a hierarchy that looks like this for a logical or conceptual model. Domain (or subject area) -> SubDomain (or minor subject area) -> Entity -> Attribute. A specific example would be Customer -> Customer Profile -> Name -> First Name.
  • In reply to Art F:

You may want to look at Business Architect and creating conceptual models that way. Business Architect has a better way of representing these types of things I believe.