Export meta data on 2016+

In the past, the Definitions and Notes (entity, attribute) were exported as plain text with no formatting details.  Basically, what we could see in the Definition tab of an entity or an attribute would be the same output out of an Export to Excel macro.  But, with the enhanced editors with the new release, the Export macros outputs this same text with added formatting details.  See below for an example.  Is there a way to remove these from the output?

Entered Version in Definition:

Name:

Batch Email URL Link My Field Text

Definition:

Text that contains my field.

Business Definition:

This is another definition that is longer than other definitions.  It will contain mutliple sentences that should cross mutiple lines on both the screen and the html report.  At least now the screen still wraps - but will the returns be OK?

Other Business Name(s):

1) Something

Example(s):

1) Something else

Behavior Rule(s):

1) Something happens before this can happen

Allowed Values:

A==ADD

B==BEFORE

Exported Version:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 MS Shell Dlg;}}

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang1033\f0\fs17 Name:\par

Batch Email URL Link My Field Text\par

\par

Definition:\par

Text that contains my field.\par

\par

Business Definition:\par

This is another definition that is longer than other definitions.  It will contain mutliple sentences that should cross mutiple lines on both the screen and the html report.  At least now the screen still wraps - but will the returns be OK?\par

\par

Other Business Name(s):\par

1) Something\par

\par

Example(s):\par

1) Something else\par

\par

Behavior Rule(s):\par

1) Something happens before this can happen\par

\par

Allowed Values:\par

A==ADD\par

B==BEFORE\par

}

• Hi,

What's the version and build of Data Architect you are using? You can find this by going to Help -> About.

Also can you tell me what macro you're running? If you run the Export Object Definition and Notes macro does that give you the same result?

Thanks,
    Stan
  • In reply to Stanley Chan:

Nevermind, I think I see the issue now. It looks like it happens on the attribute level but on the table level it's different.
  • In reply to Stanley Chan:

Thanks Stan! Yeap, looks like it is doing it at the attribute level and not at the entity level. We will start looking at it but any help would be appreciated.
  • In reply to harslan1:

Hi,

I'm not sure if you found a way around this but I had some time to work on this and I found that you can use regular expressions to get rid of some of the RTF tags. Here's the code for that:

Set objRegExp_1 = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp")
    With objRegExp_1
    .Global = True
    .IgnoreCase = True
    .Pattern = "\{\*?\\[^{}]+}|[{}]|\\\n?[A-Za-z]+\n?(?:-?\d+)?[ ]?"
    End With

NewString = objRegExp_1.Replace(attr.Definition, "")

Regards,
    Stan