Licence4Net error when try to connect to sql diagnostic manager desktop client

I'm receiving the following error: "An unhandled exception occurred while running the sql diagnostic manager desktop client.  External component has thrown an exception (License4net)". Does anyone know what the issue is?  We are current with licenses.

• We're seeing similar errors with both SQLdm and SQLsafe. It seemed to start suddenly today.
  • In reply to DaveL:

I logged a support ticket. Have you heard what the issue is and ETA for resolution?
  • In reply to Laura Culley:

I also logged a case, but haven't heard anything yet.
  • Yes, we have the same error since today with Diagnostic manager and Defrag manager too.
    I moved our Idera DM Database ver 10.0 to another server and did a clean install of current 10.2 version Idera Diagnostic Manager.
    Now it is working again, but opening the "manage licenses..." menu point still shows that License4Net error.
    Defrag Manager still not working. It doesn't accept my license.
  • We have the same issue. We are still working to resolve, but apparently Idera changed their license library. It wasn't "supposed" to affect existing installations (as per our customer support rep for our case), but it did. You will need to download the new library DLLs and install them on each server you are managing. I am waiting for the instructions from my co-worker and then I will post them here. They are also working on a mass communication to send out.
  • From the Idera Customer Support Chat on our case:

Idera has recently updated the license library for all the products. In some situations, customers may see a license prompt upon launching the console. In order to resolve this issue, please follow the steps listed below. These instructions are for SQL Safe.

1) Download the copy of License4Net.dll version 6.0.0.1 that corresponds to your version of Windows from the below link.
    64 bit: downloadfiles.idera.com/.../License4Net.dll
    32 bit: downloadfiles.idera.com/.../License4Net.dll
    C:\Program Files\Idera\SQLsafe\License4Net.dll
    2) Find the following path on the backup servers:
    3) Rename the existing copy of License4Net.dll to License4Net.dll.old.

4) Copy the downloaded License4Net.dll into the installation directory next to the file that was just renamed.

5) Restarted the following SQLsafe services:

SQLsafe Backup Service
    SQLSafe OLR Service
    SQLsafe Rest Service
    SQLsafe Management Service
    SQLSafe Collection Service
    SQLsafe Filter Service
  • In reply to Rogue3:

That's for SQL Safe... for the others like Diagnostic Manager (sorry... I copied straight from the chat so the format isn't great):

William 09:39:09 am
    okay so if this error exists on other products like diagnostics manager then I need to do the same for that product?

Dragos Matran-Dan 09:39:38 am
    Unfortunately, that would be the case, yes.
    The solution is manually changing the dll file available in the product installation folder.

William 09:48:18 am
    wait - not done
    the program runs but my backups still fail
    The backup service could not save licensing information to the registry. or External component has thrown an exception. do I need to install the license4.dll on the SQL boxes I am backing up?

Dragos Matran-Dan 09:49:25 am
    Yes, the dll file exists on the backup servers as well.
  • Thanks for posting! That same dll worked for SQL dm consoles used throughout our enterprise.
  • In reply to Tamie Jensen:

This is the full set of instructions being sent from Tech Support for DM.

Idera has recently updated the license library for all the products due to which our customers are getting a license prompt upon launching the console. In order to resolve this issue, please follow the steps listed below.

1) Download the copy of License4Net.dll version 6.0.0.1 that corresponds to your version of Windows from the below link.

64 bit: downloadfiles.idera.com/.../License4Net.dll
    32 bit: downloadfiles.idera.com/.../License4Net.dll

2. Log on to the server running the Idera software and navigate to the installation directory.
    3. Rename the existing copy of License4Net.dll to License4Net.dll.old.
    4. Copy the downloaded License4Net.dll into the installation directory next to the file that was just renamed.
    (Program Files\Idera\Idera SQL diagnostic manager and \Program Files\Idera\Dashboard\CoreService & :\Program Files\Idera\Dashboard\CoreService\ProductPlugins\AddIns\SQLdm-10.x.x.x, if you are using Web Dashboard)
    5. Restart the following SQLDM & Dashboard Services and also your SQLDM Desktop Client Console.
    SQLdm Collection Service (Default)
    SQLdm Management Service (Default)
    SQLdm Predictive Analytics Service (Default)
    SQLdm Rest Service (Default)
    SQLdm Mobile & Newsfeed Service (if installed)
    Idera Dashboard Core Service
    Idera Dashboard Web Application Service
    6. Start the Idera tool and apply the license key.
    Note: If you have SQLDM Desktop Client installed on your remote workstations, then you will need to follow the same steps on your workstations too.
  • In reply to Rogue3:

Thanks! Our Diagnostic Manager works after updating to latest License4Net.dll

• In reply to Rogue3:

Thanks for the link. Fixed my problem with SQL DM 10.2.
  • We have the same issue with SQLSafe.
    I tried the above instructions, but I could not fixed it.
    Is there no other way?
  • Hi,
    I have the same error with our SQLdm installation 8.6, which worked for years and since Monday we have no SQL Monitoring anymore. I have tried the new SQLdm 10.2.2, but it isn't possible to make the basic installation because of upcoming install-shield-error. I have made a call, but this problem is very old and I also recognize this error in SQLdm 10.1. Now I am not amused, because we have no monitoring with SQLdm for operating and for our DBAs. I also tried to restore the repository to an older state 3 days ago, but nothing changed.
    I will try the above solution with the new license-dll, but it's no good solution for Idera. My system-engineering collegues are surprised about such a solution with manually changing a dll. All in all, this speaks for poor quality assurance. I worked with Idera-products for many years and I recognized that with groth of Idera the quality of SQLdm decreases. That's a pity.

• In reply to Heinrich Stenner:

If you have not already opened a Support case directly, please do so now. They should be able to figure out why the new DLL is not working for you.
  • In reply to Scott Stone:

Hello Scott,
    I had opened a new case in the morning and I had to send the install-logs to Idera, so I did it. But no further information until now. My old installation of SLQdm 8.6 is working after changing to the new license4Net.dll. That workaround fixed the problem. But the new installation I am working on since 10.1 has problems with the basic installation. I had made a call on 08/16 and it had been escalated to development, but no solution until now. It was a 10.1.-installation that wasn't possible to update to 10.2. and the dashboard never worked again and the console information only holds the last 60 minutes and the dates are all us but not in german 24 hours-format, no AM or PM and so on, it's whole buggy. Years ago the products were very good and had a good quality, but now it's a desaster. I wasn't able to install a newer version than 8.6 and that for years, many calls but nothing helps. Also remote installation with a supporter wasn't helpful until now. Now I have new SQL Server 2016 and Windows 10 and the old console has many problems with this so that I must change to the new version. I am working on Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2016 with Always On Availability Groups and financial systems etc. and I need the monitoring. But no chance, I must wait for support.
    Addendum: then "dll-change" now also worked for the new SQLdm 10.2.X, I first forgot one additional location for the dll in the installed directory. Now it works. But again, there are many bugs, no 24 h date-format, only the last 60 minutes to be shown for other users than the install-user, the console-options are not saved correctly, normal installation with the master-installer (cwf-installer) crashes with the msi-installer in background, dashboard install not working correctly, all things that work correctly in former times....