Creating Alerts on Error Log Size

Hi

I'm trying to figure out how to create an alert (not a warning) when my SQL Error Log exceeds a certain size.  I do see alert configuration where I can change the severity of the message to trigger an alert or warning and I see where I can change the size of the error log threshold to trigger the warning that my log is too large to view.  However, I'm hoping I can make that warning into a critical alert to make this type of event more visible to my team.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Paul

• I am not sure what you mean by “change the size of the error log threshold to trigger the warning that my log is too large to view”, but the alert “SQL Server Error Log has an Advanced button. I believe the bottom alert defaults to 10MB (What size would you like to limit your log to?). When a log file reaches this size you will receive the alert. 10mb will still open, it will just take longer than you like.
  • In reply to David Partlow:

Right--I can change the size of when I get warned. That helps my problem. What I want to do is get an alert and not a warning from Idera when this happens. If I have someone blowing up my logs (thank you SharePoint) I want to know about it as soon as possible and not hope I see a warning.
  • In reply to PaulSteele:

Have you used the ALERT response feature?
    Select “When metric is in ‘specified list’” (selecting SQL Server Error Log) and severity is Warning or Critical. Set up an Action Provider. I think that you can work with this. Providers can include email, SNMP, SCOM, etc.
  • In reply to David Partlow:

Tried that and no dice. It's not really a SQL alert as much as something Idera DM is dealing with. I think they turned this into an *** request for me.