AlwaysOn Policy Configuration

what is the best method to setting up a policy for AlwaysOn Databases, do you license and register the server or listener?

Do you add all Nodes to the policy or just the primary?  When you add both nodes, their are SQL safe agents on both servers.  If they are both scheduled, won't they do 2 backups?

This is a simple 2 node, Primary/Secondary topology.

The documentation is not very clear how SQLSafe knows it is a AlwaysOn database.  It just says it is compatible.

"When SQL Safe performs the backup operation, it detects the preferred replica for the backup operation and it skips the non-preferred ones."

--- does this mean when the job kicks off on the Secondary and the AG is configured for Primary only, then they job skips the backup tasks and reports complete?

Parents
  • I think I can answer this to some degree, but you likely won't like the direction it is going. I need to get an answer from IDERA about this.

First, you add the SQLSafe Agent to each node (by adding each node as a "registered server". Now that you've used 2 licenses, register a 3rd server with the listener name of the AlwaysON instance.

Next, you can add the listener name to a policy or manually backup. If your AvailabilityGroup policy is to backup only on the PRIMARY node (regardless of which one), this will work great for backing up.

Now the bad news. The SQLSafe Management Console will not show any backup history or progress. Also, when you want to restore a database, you have to specify the hostname of the *node* that you want to restore from. If you try to "restore from servername..."listener name", it doesn't find a SQL instance with that name. It seems the backup history database uses the node's hostname, not the listener.

It seems that the AlwaysON needs it's own logic in SQLSafe Management console...not trying to adapt to a single node logic. SQL Clusters are work fine since they share storage, but AlwaysON, having 2 independent copies of the databases complicates IDERA's logic.

Perhaps there's a proper way to do this, but the documentation is lacking to say the least.
Reply Children
No Data